July 26, 2009
Have you ever bought anything at the store and you had no idea what you'd do with it but knew you'd come up with something? That is just what I did with these spinners at the dollar store (4 for $1). There are SO many things you can do with these spinners.
Pick up a spinner and give some of these activities a try or click here to make and print your own spinner.
Toddlers - Pre-K:
• Spin and then hop, step, or roll that many times
• Put a pile of blocks on the floor and count out or stack how many you spin
• Put dots or pictures on cards and find the card that matches the number you spin (pictured above)
• Make a color spinner and find a toy or card that matches the color you land on.
• Make a color spinner and chart what color you land on and see which color wins after 10 spins
• Spin two spinners and figure out (using blocks if needed) which number is lower/higher (or more/less)
• Spin two spinners, count out blocks for each number and add or subtract them
Pre-K - Elementary
• Use two spinners, add (subtract or multiply depending on the skill you are working on) the two numbers together. The player with the highest sum gets a point. After 10 rounds, the player with the most points wins.
• Make a color spinner. Make a prediction about which color you will land on the most in 10 spins. Chart your results. Were you correct? Why or why not? How could the game be changed to give you a better chance of winning? (Depending on age, it may be a good idea to make a spinner with more of one or two of the colors so a clear pattern occurs)
• Make a chart. Player 1 gets a point if the spinner lands on an even number and Player 2 gets a point if the spinner lands on an odd number. The player with the most points after 10 spins is the winner. (Depending on age, it may be a good idea to make your own spinner with more even (or odd) numbers so a clear pattern occurs) Discuss: Which player was the winner? Did each player have an equal chance of winning? Was the game fair? How could the game be changed so that one of your two had a better chance of winning than the other?
• Using two spinners, create a fraction. Give a point to the person that makes the highest fraction. The person with the most points after 10 rounds wins.