May 9, 2012
Summer is just around the corner! Keep your kids reading with these motivating and fun suggestions.
1. Family Book Club: Take turns choosing a book weekly that everyone will read. Have each member keep a reading journal. Discuss and share ideas at the end of the week. Older children may enjoy planning a craft to go with the story!
2. Summer Book Bin: Have books readily available in a decorated book bin or cardboard box. Also, having books in the car has helped motivate my children to read while we are on the go!
3. Book Marks: Spend some time as a family creating book marks. Use stickers, glitter, and other craft materials.
An Ocean/Beach theme would be fun!
6. Read a Variety of Genres: Post a Genre Wheel for each child to encourage reading different types of literature. (a pizza graphic would be fun. Write in each slice. Celebrate when filled with a pizza party!)
7. Family Reading Buddies: Partner read and enjoy spending time with one family member. Rotate reading buddies though out the summer.
9. Reading Picnic: Have a reading picnic! Pack a basket and a blanket and don't forget the book!
10. Rent Movies: Rent movies based on books your child has read. Pop some popcorn and compare the book to the movie. My kids enjoy Charlotte's Web, Stellaluna, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and Ramona and Beezus. My little guy enjoys watching animated storybooks on Youtube- such as Goodnight Gorilla. He also loves The Cat in the Hat live theater. (found on Netflix)
Enjoy reading with your family this summer!
Written by Jen